Flat lays are super popular at the moment for both blog photos and Instagram pics. We’ve covered before how to create the perfect flat lay, and part of a good flat lay involves using a few relevant props around the items you want to feature.
Working with what you have already is a great way to make your photos not cost any more than they need to…but who needs an excuse to buy new stationery?
Here are a few ideas of what to buy, and where to get it from!
All stationery bits are useful for scattering in your flat lays. The following things are easy to find, easy to store and are useful as well!
Good places to buy these sort of things…
- TK Maxx (always worth popping in when you’re passing by one as their stock constantly changes)
- Kate Spade
- Kikki K
- Wilkinsons (their Enterprising Britain and Sanctuary Stationery ranges are gorgeous!)
- Paperchase (the obvious choice)
- Sainsburys (their stationery range is surprisingly good, and well priced! The Ethereal Geo range is great, and they have everything including week planners, storage and even washi tape! )
- John Lewis (John Lewis has tons of different stationery ranges, including lots of Kate Spade items, which can sometimes be cheaper than the actual store!)
Paper and Fabric
The best thing when looking for paper or fabric to use is to see what you already have. A duvet cover will be an easy way to find a large piece of material but here are a few other things to keep an eye out for in your house.
- Wrapping Paper
- Sticky Back Plastic
Flowers and Plants
Real flowers are always lovely (and pretty affordable from supermarkets like Aldi), but not the most practical thing ever. Faux blooms are surprisingly beautiful these days, and places like Ikea and Etsy are a good place to look for them.
Trays and Dishes
Trays, coasters, dishes…all these little places to stash trinkets are a good thing to have for your pictures as they help to create extra layers in your photos. Ikea, Oliver Bonas and TK Maxx are great places to just have a wander around and see what catches your eye
What sort of thing do you like to include in your flat lays?
Since I started blogging I’ve begun to hoard anything and everything for blog props! Random buttons, ribbon from a birthday cake… I also bought a set of cheap rise gold brushes to pop in beauty pics.
Such good suggestions! It’s easy to forget about little things like buttons, etc, but they can really help a simple photo stand out!